I have never actually tried a berry recipe, I have always just made jelly, pies, or pancakes out of the berries that I harvested so finding a pasta recipe with blueberries was really interesting and I thought I would share it with you.
Eatingwell.com Chicken and Blueberry Pasta Salad
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fusilli or radiatore
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place chicken in a skillet or saucepan and add enough water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board to cool. Shred into bite-size strips.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, about 9 minutes or according to package directions. Drain. Place in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, place oil and shallot in a small skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and just beginning to brown, 2 to 5 minutes. Add broth, feta and lime juice and cook, stirring occasionally, until the feta begins to melt, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the bowl with the pasta. Add the dressing, blueberries, thyme, lime zest and salt and toss until combined.
- Make Ahead Tip: Add everything except the blueberries and dressing to the pasta salad. Cover and refrigerate pasta salad, blueberries and dressing separately for up to 1 day. Toss together just before serving.
- Serving size: about 1 1/2 cups
- Per serving: 320 calories; 11 g fat(3 g sat); 5 g fiber; 34 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 29 mcg folate; 49 mg cholesterol; 5 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 82 IU vitamin A; 6 mg vitamin C; 68 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 244 mg sodium; 254 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (18% daily value)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
Looking at the site more in depth, I found that it has alot of healthy choices as well as treats. I look forward to trying some of these recipies out in the near future.