So I decided to submit a recipe for my first blog post. I also decided to find something new online using ingredients that we all have in abundance in our gardens when the berries are likewise in abundance. It was a no brainer when I found this recipe using one of my top fruits blueberry and yummy zucchini. As I read this bakers little story that she included I noticed she did what i like doing as well when i find a wonderful recipe….add a frosting or glaze ;).
Can’t wait to make this and enjoy the deliciousness that I saw in the photos. RM Mat-Su Valley
I’m including the blueberry zucchini bread recipe that started it all submitted by Laura Moody
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ 74657/blueberry-zucchini- bread/?internalSource=hub% 20recipe&referringContentType= search%20results&clickId= cardslot%202
blueberry zucchini cake with lemon buttercream
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups white sugar
- 2 cups finely shredded and drained zucchini
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pint fresh blueberries (you can reserve a few for garnish if so desired)
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners\’ sugar
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare two 8-inch round cake pans.
- Grate a large zucchini (or two small zucchini) and place in a clean dish towel. Squeeze until most of the liquid comes out. You will want to have 2 total cups of shredded zucchini after it has been drained. Set aside.
- In a large bowl and using a hand mixer, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar. Fold in the zucchini.
- Slowly add in the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Gently fold in the blueberries. Divide batter evenly between prepared cake pans.
- Bake 35-40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a cake comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Combine butter, sugar and salt and beat till well combined.
- Add lemon juice and vanilla and continue to beat for another 3 to 5 minute or until creamy.
- Fold in zest (If you are piping this buttercream, I recommend leaving out the zest).
Amanda Rettke. 2014. Blueberry Zucchini Cake with Lemon Buttercream. Available online:
http://iambaker.net/blueberry- zucchini-cake-with-lemon- buttercream/ . Accessed 18 Sept. 2016.